Tuesday 22 November 2016

QGIS Time Manager, for archaeological time series

Hi all,
I am back from the CHNT conference, which was held, like every year, in Vienna. There I had many feedbacks and the possibility to speak with colleagues regarding common problems in our profession (soon I hope to report some feedbacks from the session I was attending). 
Today I would like to write a fast post about time visualization in GIS for archaeological aims, because I was asked by our friend +Undine Lieberwirth  if we ever faced with this topic and especially if we ever used TGRASS. The answer is yes and this reminded me that we never wrote something about it, so I would like to start here a series of post dedicated to chronological GIS visualization with open source GIS in general (and in particular about some non conventional and alternative use of it), considering also the 4D visualization tasks.
By the way, today I will start with something simple, just showing an interesting tool of +QGIS : the  Time Manager plugin.
The video below is just a fast demonstration of this tool, with some data coming from an excavation we performed between 2009 and 2011 in the church of S. Giovanni at Massimeno. The raster time series regards the different architectural phases of the structure (from XI to XXI century) we recognized during the excavation.



That's all for now. Have a nice day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

BlogItalia - La directory italiana dei blog Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.