Wednesday 12 June 2013

Paranthropus boisei - forensic facial reconstruction

In the first works I made involving forensic facial reconstruction, It was important to me modeling all from scratch. More than to model, I created all textures and illumination in each new work.


With the time, and with the experience, I noticed that some properties of that works repeated constantly.

Because this, I developed a methodology to make the reconstruction faster, both with humans as hominids.

In this post I'll show you how was the reconstruction of a Paranthropus boisei. The work, how ever, it have the help of the archaeologist Dr. Moacir Elias Santos. He took some excellent photos that was the base of the 3D scanning with PPT-GUI.

Using CT-Scans of a Pongo pygmaeus and a Pan troglodytes (chimp) how references, the muscles was modeled.

Because of the morphology, we decided to use a CT-Scan of a chimp how reference to be deformed and match it with the mesh of the P. boisei. We used InVesalius to reconstruct the CT-Scan in a 3D mesh.


While I deformed the skull, the skin got the appearance of a new hominid.

The resulting mesh was the reference of the final model.

Instead of modeling the P. boisei from scratch, I imported the mesh of an Australopithecus afarensis to be deformed and match it with the skin base deformed from a CT-Scan.

By editing the mesh was possible conform it with the skull and the muscles of the P. boisei.

The edition of the mesh in Blender Sculpt Mode was done with a digital tablet Bamboo by Wacom (CTL-470). Surprisingly it was not necessary install anyone driver on Ubuntu Linux.


To finish the work, I made the texturing and put the hair. The render was done with Cycles.

I hope you enjoyed.

A big hug!

1 comment:

BlogItalia - La directory italiana dei blog Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.